- For the cake:
- 230g Kerrygold® Unsalted Irish Butter 227g
- 350g caster sugar
- 1 egg (L)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 410g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 300ml milk, at room temperature
- For the almond roca:
- 230g Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- A cup of roasted almonds, chopped
- For the icing:
- 450g chocolate
- 70g brown sugar
- 480g cream
- 55g room temperature Kerrygold® Irish Creamery Butter 454g
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease two round cake tins and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the egg and egg yolks one at a time, mixing until combined after each addition. Add the vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl and stir in half of the dry ingredients on low speed
- Add half of the milk and scrape the bowl again. Repeat this process with the remaining dry ingredients and milk. Pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Begin preparing the almond roca. In a medium-sized heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sugars and stir until dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring constantly until a thermometer reads 65 degrees.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and stir in the almonds. Spread the mixture onto a layer on some tin foil that has been greased with butter and allow to cool completely.
- Next, start preparing the icing. Place the chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Warm the cream and brown sugar together until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the warm cream mixture over the chocolate, set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, whisk the mixture to combine into a smooth and thick chocolate, then stir in the butter and allow to set.
- Begin assembling the cake by leveling the tops of the cake with a serrated knife. Place the first cake layer onto a plate and cover in some of the ganache and sprinkle the crumbed roca on top. Put the next cake layer on top and repeat this step.
- The cake is best enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rory O’Connell’s Orange Grand Marnier Souffle
Preheat the oven to 190°C and place an upturned oven tray in the ove...
ROAST CHICKEN RIGATONI With BEARNAISE KERRYGOLD BUTTER
Paul Flynn's roast chicken rigatoni serves 4. Place the shall...
Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
CAULIFLOWER KORMA, RAISIN AND ALMOND PIE
Paul Flynn's cauliflower korma, raisin and almond pie serves 4....
Chocolate Hazelnut Eclairs
Chocolate eclairs, an all-time classic with a twist - roasted hazelnuts add a lo...