- A little Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 200g (7oz) plain white flour, plus extra, for sprinkling
- 300g (11oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 500ml (16fl oz) buttermilk
- For spreading Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
To serve (optional)
- Smoked salmon
- Dill sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little softened Kerrygold butter, then sprinkle some plain flour on top.
- Mix the plain flour, wholemeal flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, then mix together with your hands to form a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a clean surface and knead the dough lightly for 1 minute, just to pull the mixture together. Unlike ordinary bread, it’s essential not to overwork the dough.
- Put the round dough ball onto the prepared baking sheet, generously dust with flour and cut a deep cross into the top. Pop in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- If you prefer a soft crust to a crusty crust, wrap the hot loaf in a tea towel. Otherwise cool on a wire rack.
- Cut in thin slices or chunky slabs and spread with Kerrygold butter. Serve, topped with smoked salmon and dill.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Barbecue Potato Spice with Harissa Herbal Butter Dip
Soak the wooden skewers in cold water for about 30 minutes....
Melt your butter and add it to a shallow bowl. Mix in crushed garlic...
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms...
STUFFED BREAD WITH IRISH CHEDDAR
Everyone loves bread. Try adding some of our delicious Irish cheddar cheese to m...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...