- 200g (7 oz) (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) self-raising flour
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature, extra for greasing Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 175g (6 oz) (¾ cup plus 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp ground almonds or fine polenta
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Finely grated lemon rind, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Sift the flour into a bowl and put to one side for later. Dice the butter into small cubes and pop them into a food processor. Add the sugar and beat it all up until the texture turns a pale cream.
- Keep the motor running, adding one egg with a tablespoon of the sifted flour to prevent curdling. Then add the other two eggs. When the eggs are fully integrated, throw in the almonds or polenta and give it another quick beat.
- Remove the lid and add the rest of the flour with the vanilla extract and milk. Give it one final beat until your cake mixture is smooth and creamy. Scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula will ensure you don’t miss any of the mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased 20cm (8in) non-stick loaf tin that is about 16cm (4in) deep, smoothing the surface. Bake in the lower middle shelf of the oven and check on the cake after 45 minutes. Do the skewer test and if it comes out clean, it’s done. If not, pop it back in for another 5 - 10 minutes. The oven and size of the tin dictate the cooking time so best to repeat the skewer test until you are happy. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the tea is brewing, decorate your Madeira cake with lemon rind and cut into slices to serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Braised Red Cabbage
Tantalize your tastebuds with this stunning side dish. It looks divine and it ta...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...
Roasted Carrots with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they need...
PANCAKES WITH SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
Salted caramel has been popping up in recipes a lot lately, but have you ever tr...
Kerrygold Honey Glazed Ham
It's not a holiday feast without the Christmas ham and this recipe for a sticky...
Baked Lemon & Vanilla Cheesecake
If you are looking for your signature dinner party dessert, the search is over....