- 200g (7 oz) (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) self-raising flour
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature, extra for greasing Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 175g (6 oz) (¾ cup plus 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp ground almonds or fine polenta
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Finely grated lemon rind, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Sift the flour into a bowl and put to one side for later. Dice the butter into small cubes and pop them into a food processor. Add the sugar and beat it all up until the texture turns a pale cream.
- Keep the motor running, adding one egg with a tablespoon of the sifted flour to prevent curdling. Then add the other two eggs. When the eggs are fully integrated, throw in the almonds or polenta and give it another quick beat.
- Remove the lid and add the rest of the flour with the vanilla extract and milk. Give it one final beat until your cake mixture is smooth and creamy. Scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula will ensure you don’t miss any of the mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased 20cm (8in) non-stick loaf tin that is about 16cm (4in) deep, smoothing the surface. Bake in the lower middle shelf of the oven and check on the cake after 45 minutes. Do the skewer test and if it comes out clean, it’s done. If not, pop it back in for another 5 - 10 minutes. The oven and size of the tin dictate the cooking time so best to repeat the skewer test until you are happy. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the tea is brewing, decorate your Madeira cake with lemon rind and cut into slices to serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Sometimes the simple things hit the spot. Like homemade scones still warm from t...
A simple but effective baking idea this Halloween, get creative for the perfect...
Apple & Hazelnut Streusel
This winter warmer is scrumptious with custard, clotted cream or crème fraîche...
STUFFED BREAD WITH IRISH CHEDDAR
Everyone loves bread. Try adding some of our delicious Irish cheddar cheese to m...
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread...
HERB & CHILI BUTTER
Butter is one of the most versatile and widely used ingredients by chefs all ove...