- Preheat the oven to 220°C, dust a large baking sheet with flour. Start by mixing the flour and baking powder in a big bowl. With your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar and mix it through the crumbs.
- In a measuring jug, whisk up the milk and egg until combined. Pour this into the crumb mixture and mix thoroughly with a table knife until a rough dough forms. Now here’s the trick. Don’t wait for the scones to cook before you add the best bit - mix the raspberries through the dough. Use your hands to knead the dough together and don’t leave any mixture stuck inside the bowl.
- Dust a clean work surface with a little flour, turn the dough out of the bowl and mould into a round shape. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of 2.5cm (1in). Using a 7.5cm (3in) circular pastry cutter, cut out the scones and place on the baking sheet. Press the trimmings together, roll out and repeat the process until you have used all the dough.
- Brush each scone with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar. Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 12 - 14 minutes until they have risen and turned a lovely golden-brown colour on top.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool ever so slightly before serving warm with a dollop of butter and jam. Why not experiment and have one with clotted cream, afternoon tea style?
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
EASY ONE TRAY CHICKEN DINNER
Looking for a quick and easy dish that will please everyone? Try these chicken f...
Simply delicious and creative. The perfect treat for your family this Halloween...
No Bake Salted Caramel Cheesecake Jars
For the biscuit base, melt the butter and crush the digestives in a...
The stuff of legends, ciabatta or panettone can’t touch traditional Irish soda...
Irish stew hot-pot
Cold Winter evenings, a peat fire and pot of stew. This recipe is a right of pas...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...