Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese
- 2 garlic heads, separated into cloves and peeled
- 225ml (8fl oz) (1 cup) cream
- 150g (5oz) (1 cup) panko or toasted plain breadcrumbs
- 50g (2oz) ( ½ cup), grated, Kerrygold Dubliner
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 50g (2 oz) (4 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 24 open cup or large button mushrooms, stems removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rocket salad, to serve
45 minutes is a long time to cook garlic but when you taste the resulting purée you will understand. A gentle heat creates the most exquisite mellow roasted garlic taste, complementing the cheese and mushrooms wonderfully to create an explosion of flavour. You can prepare the dish up to one day in advance, just cover and keep in the fridge until summoned to the table. Look out for panko - Japanese dried bread crumbs - in Asian or large supermarkets. While fresh white breadcrumbs work, they lack that perfect texture.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6. Place the garlic and cream in a small heavy-based pan over a very low heat and simmer gently for about 45 minutes until the garlic is completely tender and the cream has reduced and thickened. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom of the pan doesn’t catch and burn. Tedious but it’s worth the effort.
- Remove the garlic and cream mixture from the heat and mash to a rough purée with a fork. Season to taste and leave to cool, then stir in the panko or breadcrumbs and fold in the cheese and thyme.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and use to brush all over the mushrooms, except the gills, as the filling will cover that. Arrange the mushrooms on a non-stick baking sheet, top-side down and fill the centres with spoonfuls of the garlic cream and cheese mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
- To serve, transfer the garlic stuffed mushrooms with cheese to warmed plates and arrange a little rocket salad to the side of each one.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Peek A Boo Cookies
This recipe by Shane Smith makes 12 cookie sandwiches. Preheat your...
Batter fish with cucumber and radish salad
For the Fish: or the beer batter, put the flour together with the b...
ROASTED VEGETABLE GALETTE
Preheat the oven to 180c...
Smoked Bacon and Pecan Brussel Sprouts with Shallot Butter
This is a great way to ensure that your brussel sprouts end up perfectly cooked....
Peanut butter brownies
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F Butter and line a 9...
LEG OF LAMB WITH ROSEMARY AND IRISH BUTTER
No Easter meal is complete without a roast leg of lamb, indeed it's delicious an...
Serves 6 - 8
Summer Berry ice-cream meringue cake
For the ice-cream cake: Line a large...