- 250g (9 oz) (1 ½ cups) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 225g (8 oz) (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 225g (8 oz) (16 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp milk
For the lemon icing
- 200g (7 oz) (1 cup) icing sugar
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), Gas Mark 3 and line a 23cm x 30cm (9in x 12in) baking tin with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl. With a spoon, make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs, lemon rind and milk. Beat with a handheld mixer for a few minutes until it is well and truly mixed.
- With the help of a spatula, transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Leave in the tin to settle for a few minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and let it cool.
- Meanwhile you can crack on with the lemon icing. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon rind and juice. There’s nothing like fresh lemons to make your tastebuds tango. Spread the icing generously over the top of the cooled lemon cake. If you possess the will power, leave it to set at room temperature for 1 hour and then cut up into squares.
- Ideal for teatime or pudding, you can serve solo or with raspberries and a dollop of crème fraîche. Go on, the chef deserves a second slice!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish Stove-Top Potatoes with cheese
Our national treasure deserves a revival every now and again. Looking back to by...
Peanut butter brownies
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F Butter and line a 9...
Irish Colcannon Shepard’s pie
This Irish Colcannon Shepherd’s Pie is a mash up of two Irish favori...
Christmas Turkey butters
Cream together the butter with all of the ingredients using the back...
On a lightly floured cutting board, roll out one sheet of the puff p...
Cajun Potato Wedges
Perfect for a party or barbecue, this spicy appetizer will keep peckish guests h...