- For the bread:
- 110g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 190g plain flour, plus extra for dusting pan
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 150g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs (M)
- 300g well-mashed, very ripe bananas
- 60ml sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- For the coconut frosting:
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp well-stirred cream of coconut
- 30g coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 165°c and lightly butter, flour and line a cake tin.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg until combined, then add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla extract and beat until combined well. Reduce speed to low. Sieve in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and continue to mix.
- Spread the batter in the bread tin and bake until pale golden and a skewer or knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. This should take around 45 minutes or an hour in a ceramic tin.
- Once the banana bread is cooked, let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then lift the cake out of the tin onto the rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, make the coconut frosting. Beat together the cream cheese and butter in a bowl using cleaned beaters at medium speed until smooth. Reduce the speed to low, then add icing sugar, cream of coconut and mix until combined. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Frost the top of the cooled cake and then sprinkle with coconut flakes.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
This iconic cake is a favourite with all the family. Curious culinary spirits ca...
CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES WITH MAPLE KERRYGOLD BUTTER
For the maple butter, whip 50ml of the maple syrup and butter togeth...
Batter fish with cucumber and radish salad
For the Fish: or the beer batter, put the flour together with the b...
Roasted Buttery Parmesan Parsnips
Try to find nice small firm parsnips that will have a wonderful almost nutty fla...
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread...
Griddled asparagus with lemon butter sauce
Asparagus are the baby shoots of a cultivated lily plant. A delicacy with an int...