- 75g (3 oz) softened, extra for greasing, Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 eggs
- 225ml (8fl oz) (1 cup) milk
- 225ml (8fl oz) (1 cup) cream
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 250g (9oz) slice white bread (about 9 slices)
- 75g (3oz) (½ cup) ready-to-eat dried prunes, finely chopped
- 75g (3oz) (½ cup) sultanas or raisins
- A good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
- Pouring cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4 and lightly butter an ovenproof dish. Beat the eggs, milk and cream together in a large jug. Mix the lemon rind and juice together with vanilla seeds and sugar in a small bowl and then add to the egg mixture, beating lightly to combine.
- Spread the slices of bread with the softened butter and cut off the crusts, then cut into triangles. Scatter half of the prunes and sultanas or raisins into the bottom of the buttered dish and arrange a layer of bread triangles on top. Pour over half the egg mixture, pressing it down gently, then repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients and sprinkle the nutmeg on top.
- Place the dish into a large roasting tin and fill with warm water so that it comes to three-quarters of the way up the dish. Carefully place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until just set.
- Remove the bread and butter pudding from the water bath to a wire rack. Heat the apricot jam in a small pan and then brush on to the top of the pudding to glaze.
- To serve, cut the bread and butter pudding into slices and arrange on plates with the pouring cream.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish Stove-Top Potatoes with cheese
Our national treasure deserves a revival every now and again. Looking back to by...
Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese
45 minutes is a long time to cook garlic but when you taste the resulting purée...
PANCAKES WITH SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
Salted caramel has been popping up in recipes a lot lately, but have you ever tr...
Chocolate Biscuit Cake Christmas Cracker
Perfect for a delicious edible Christmas gift this Christmas! Place...
The classic muffin. Breakfast fit for a king or a well-deserved treat at the end...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...