Sides & Nibbles
Ploughman’s Cheese Platter with Fig Chutney
- 450g Kerrygold Mature Cheddar
For the fig chutney:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 175g (1 cup) ready-to-eat dried figs, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 120ml (½ cup) red grape juice
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- French baguette and green salad, to serve
For any cheese lover, this is the perfect lunch or snack. It is very transportable so makes the perfect picnic. The chutney will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks or of course you could simply serve the cheese with your favourite shop-bought chutney.
- To make the chutney, heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the red onions, then cook for 10 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the apple, figs, balsamic vinegar, grape juice, sugar and thyme until well combined. Cook for about 10 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Blend in a food processor for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then leave to cool completely. Store in an airtight container and use as required.
- At least a half an hour before you are ready to serve, remove the cheese from the fridge and its packaging. Cut into four even-sized wedges and arrange on plates or small wooden boards with small bowls of the fig chutney, chunks of French baguette and small mounds of green salad to serve.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Recipe by @tamarindnthyme...
Kerrygold Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Recipe by: Astrid Field (@thesweetrebellion)...
Roasted Spatchcock Chicken with Herb Butter
Recipe by Drizzle and Dip...
Pasta with Prawns in Lemon Butter Sauce
Bring the pasta water to a boil. In the meantime, peel and finely dice the onion...
Asparagus Tarte Flambee with Cheddar
1. Prepare the Dough Crumble the yeast and dissolve i...
Barbecue Potato Kebabs with Harissa Herb Butter Dip
Soak the wooden skewers in cold water for about 30 minutes. If ne...
Chicken and Mushroom Pan with Herbs
1. Begin preparation by cutting the chicken breast fillets into approximately 1....