Rory O’Connell’s Piquante Beetroot
- 700g beetroot
- 10g Kerrygold® Unsalted Irish Butter 227g
- 125-175ml cream
- A few drops of lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp of chopped chives
This recipe by Rory O'Connell demonstrates a great way to serve beetroot as an accompanying vegetable. It is excellent served with white fish such as hake or cod.
- To begin, trim the leaves off the beetroot leaving 2 cm of the stalks still attached to the beetroot. Wash gently and thoroughly with your hands under a cold running tap.
- Place the beets in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook until the beets are tender. Depending on the age and size of the beets, they can take between 20 minutes and 2 hours to cook. When they are cooked, the skins will rub off easily or they will feel tender when pierced with a small knife or skewer.
- Allow the beetroot to cool and rub off the skins and stalks.
- Cut the beets into neat slices, dice or wedges. Place in a saucepan with the butter, cream, lemon juice or red wine vinegar and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Bring to a bare simmer to heat through and season. The beets can be prepared ahead to this point and reheated later.
- Serve in a hot serving dish scattered with chopped chives.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rory O’Connell’s Crepes with Orange Butter
This recipe by Rory O'Connell serves 6 people. Begin by makin...
HALLOUMI SANDWICH WITH LEMON AND HERB BUTTER
Brush the halloumi slices with a little oil and cook on a hot griddle...
There are two secret ingredients to fab scones. Kerrygold and a splash of lov...
Seeded Cheddar Bread
CHOCOLATE PECAN BROWNIE TRIFLE WITH ORANGE BLOSSOM CREAM
Clodagh McKenna Farmhouse Recipe METHOD: Start by m...