- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2lb lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/2 pint chicken stock (from a stock cube
- 14oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp anchovy essence or finely chopped anchovies from a can or jar
- 1.5lb dried spaghetti
- 1/2oz Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- for garnish: finely grated Kerrygold Dubliner
- Heat a large, heavy-based pan. Add the oil and sauté the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and taken on a little colour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced beef to the pan and mix until well combined, then sauté until well browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomato purée and continue to cook for another minute or two, stirring.
- Deglaze the pan with a little of the stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any sediment. Pour in the remaining stock with the tomatoes and then add the anchovy essence or chopped anchovies and season to taste. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for at least 2 hours, or up to 4 hours is best until the beef is meltingly tender and the sauce has well reduced.
- When ready to serve, bring a large pan of water to a rolling boil. Add a good pinch of salt and swirl in the spaghetti. Stir once and then cook for 8-10 minutes or according to instructions on the packet until the pasta is 'al dente’ (tender but still firm to the bite). Drain and quickly refresh under cold running water, then return to the pan and add the butter and Bolognese sauce. Toss until well combined.
- To serve, divide the spaghetti Bolognese among wide-rimmed bowls and scatter over plenty of the finely grated Kerrygold Dubliner cheese.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
This iconic cake is a favourite with all the family. Curious culinary spirits ca...
Easy, delicious, simple, and the next hit for...
Sweet Potato, Bacon & Pecan Stuffing
Preheat the oven to 180°F or Gas Mark 4. Place a saucep...
Spicy Butter Chicken
Recipe by Shirley Shannon This family favourite, fro...
Kerrygold Cheddar, Bacon, and Green Onion Waffles
There's nothing like a perfectly cooked waffle to start or finish the day off ri...
Celebration Chocolate Cake
This cake is a very special treat and is great for all manner of occasions. If y...