- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 tsp soft fresh thyme leaves
- 450g (1lb) lean minced lamb
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp strong English or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (¾ pint) (2 cups) lamb or chicken stock (from a stock cube is fine)
For the cheesy mash
- 1kg (2 ¼lb) potatoes, cut in chunks
- 25g (1 oz) (2 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 tbsp milk
- 75g (3 oz) (¾ cup), grated Kerrygold Light Cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Buttered peas, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan and then add the onions, celery, carrots, thyme and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and taken on a little colour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lamb and cook until brown, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour with the tomato purée, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, then gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, simmer gently for about 1 hour and stir every now and again until the lamb is meltingly tender and tasty. Transfer to a large baking dish and leave to cool.
- Now it’s time to make the shepherd’s pie. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5. Place the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and then return to the heat for a couple of minutes to dry out completely. Mash up the spuds and then beat in the butter, milk and cheese to make a heavenly smooth mash. Cover the lamb mixture with an even layer of cheesy mashed potatoes. Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and crispy golden brown.
- To serve, place the shepherd’s pie with cheesy mash directly on the table with a bowl of peas. Summon the clan and allow everyone to help themselves.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish Stove-Top Potatoes with cheese
Our national treasure deserves a revival every now and again. Looking back to by...
Lemon Drizzle Squares
Tried, tested and perfected, this recipe is in the oven in five minutes flat. Ju...
PRAWNS AND LINGUINE
Starring in our Memories in the Making TV advert, this simple easy dish is one t...
Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese
45 minutes is a long time to cook garlic but when you taste the resulting purée...
Kerrygold Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, thoroughly grease a 28 cm springform p...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...