- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Baked aubergine with tomato and cheese
Whoever said vegetables lack substance will eat their words with our baked auber...
PRAWNS AND LINGUINE
Starring in our Memories in the Making TV advert, this simple easy dish is one t...
Irish stew hot-pot
Cold Winter evenings, a peat fire and pot of stew. This recipe is a right of pas...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...
Great shortbread never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserv...
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms...