- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Brown Butter Hasselback Potatoes
Calling all brown butter fans! Just say no to plain roasted potatoes. These Bro...
Great shortbread never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserv...
Mussels and tomato stew
Wash the mussels. Discard any damaged and open mussels....
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms...
MINI CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS PUDDINGS By Donal Skehan
A brilliant alternative to traditional Christmas pudding.These mini chocolate ch...
Mixed Berry Crumble
Ideal for the predictably unpredictable Irish weather, this is a dessert for all...