- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Irish Oat Flapjacks
What a delectable culinary comfort. Delicious hot or cold, you can whip up these...
Cajun Potato Wedges
Perfect for a party or barbecue, this spicy appetizer will keep peckish guests h...
Chocolate and Blueberry Cake
This impressive but simple chocolate cake ticks all the boxes for Easter enterta...
Cranberry & Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
A decadent twist on the classic hot cross bun recipe made with juicy cranberries...
Brown Butter Hasselback Potatoes
Calling all brown butter fans! Just say no to plain roasted potatoes. These Bro...
Mixed Berry Crumble
Ideal for the predictably unpredictable Irish weather, this is a dessert for all...