- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
The sublime supper favourite, homemade apple tart evokes childhood memories of g...
Irish Oat Flapjacks
What a delectable culinary comfort. Delicious hot or cold, you can whip up these...
Salmon Rillettes with pickled cucumber salad
All dishes deserve love, not just the main course. Salmon Rillettes make a ravis...
Mussels and tomato stew
Wash the mussels. Discard any damaged and open mussels....
Rhubarb & Strawberry Sponge Pudding
Dessert doesn’t need justification but if anyone asks, this recipe has two of...
Braised Red Cabbage
Tantalize your tastebuds with this stunning side dish. It looks divine and it ta...