- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Brown Butter Hasselback Potatoes
Calling all brown butter fans! Just say no to plain roasted potatoes. These Bro...
Salmon Rillettes with pickled cucumber salad
All dishes deserve love, not just the main course. Salmon Rillettes make a ravis...
Chocolate and Blueberry Cake
This impressive but simple chocolate cake ticks all the boxes for Easter enterta...
Rasberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Cranberry & Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
A decadent twist on the classic hot cross bun recipe made with juicy cranberries...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...