- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rasberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Irish stew hot-pot
Cold Winter evenings, a peat fire and pot of stew. This recipe is a right of pas...
Mussels and tomato stew
Wash the mussels. Discard any damaged and open mussels....
Pumpkin risotto with sage
They say the measure of a chef can be determined by a mastery of the fundamental...
Chocolate and Blueberry Cake
This impressive but simple chocolate cake ticks all the boxes for Easter enterta...
Kerrygold Christmas Cookies
These delicious cookies can be packed in cellophane bags and tied with ribbons t...