- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 20cm (8in) in diameter and about 5cm (2in) deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning generously as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and cook over a very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes on top are just cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the stoved potatoes and place straight under the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
There are two secret ingredients to fab scones. Kerrygold and a splash of love....
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms...
Crab Tian with brown soda bread & cherry tomatoes
A seafood starter that sets the tone at dinner parties. Find the freshest white...
Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese
45 minutes is a long time to cook garlic but when you taste the resulting purée...