Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Serves 16 squares
For the shortbread base
- 100g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g caster sugar
For the topping
- 200g caster sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 200g butter
- 1 x 400g tin of condensed milk
- 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread is key for this old time favourite and Kerrygold butter works a treat, creating that distinctive rich buttery flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Grease a 22 x 22 x 4cm baking tin with butter. Roll up your sleeves and use your fingertips to rub the butter and flour together in a bowl, then mix in the sugar. Press the mixture into the baking tin and pop in the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove but leave the oven turned on.
- As the shortbread bakes, you can rustle up the salted caramel. Mix all the topping ingredients, except the chocolate, in a saucepan over a low – medium heat. Once melted, bring to the boil and simmer for 10–15 minutes. Be sure to keep stirring. You don’t want this mellifluous sauce sticking to the bottom. When you see a warm toffee colour, the caramel is perfect.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and return to the oven for 10 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and give it a chance to cool completely.
- Now it’s time for the chocolate. Fight the temptation to nibble (until later!) and melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of shallow simmering water, then pour the melted chocolate over the cooled caramel. Use a palette knife to spread it smoothly over the gooey caramel.
- Pop on the kettle while you wait for the chocolate to set. You can slice them into 16 squares, or smaller nugget size ones. Pour yourself a cup of tea, put your feet up and let these delectable morsels melt in your mouth.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
The classic muffin. Breakfast fit for a king or a well-deserved treat at the end...
Serves 12 - 14 Muffins
Kerrygold Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, thoroughly grease a 28 cm springform p...
Griddled asparagus with lemon butter sauce
Asparagus are the baby shoots of a cultivated lily plant. A delicacy with an int...
Easy Roast Lamb
This recipe by Paul Flynn is an adaptation of a classic French recipe. The lamb...
Cajun Potato Wedges
Perfect for a party or barbecue, this spicy appetizer will keep peckish guests h...
Baked aubergine with tomato and cheese
Whoever said vegetables lack substance will eat their words with our baked auber...
The stuff of legends, ciabatta or panettone can’t touch traditional Irish soda...
Serves 1 loaf