- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 2 red peppers, diced into small pieces
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 x 400g tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 250g streaky bacon, grilled and chopped into small pieces
- 500g frozen petit pois, left out to defrost for 1 hour, then drained
- 200g (2 cups) grated Kerrygold Cheddar
- 100ml mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
This is truly a retro salad that takes me back to summer braais of my childhood, when this type of salad would feature. I thought it was time that it had a revival, as it looks really colourful and fresh, and the flavours and textures work really well together. It is also popular with all age groups, kids included, so you have less to worry about keeping your holiday guests happy.
This salad is very resilient, so can be made up the day before and stored, covered, in the fridge. That makes it really handy for the busy holiday season when you have so many people to feed and entertain, and it feels like a conveyer belt of cooking.
There is an interesting little twist to the salad, with a sprinkle of dark brown sugar on the top. Sounds strange, but it really works!
- Select a large glass bowl and start layering the ingredients: the finely shredded lettuce first, then the red pepper, red onion, sweetcorn, grated carrots, bacon bits and baby peas.
- Sprinkle over the cheese, then spread the mayonnaise evenly over the surface. If your bowl is very large, you may need an extra tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1–2 hours. This salad is best made a few hours ahead for the flavours to infuse.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the surface of the salad.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Farmette’s Milk Bread
This recipe was created by our friend, Imen McDonnell (...
Chocolate & Blueberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins....
Roasted Carrots in a Bag with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they need...
Smoked salmon carbonara is also a fantastic supper dish. Simply replace the baco...
Christmas Brownies with Cranberries and Mixed Spice
Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 30x20cm baking tin with...