- 250g macaroni
- 75g Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- sea salt and ground black pepper
For the Crispy Bacon & Basil version:
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- handful of basil leaves
For the Chorizo & Smoked Paprika version:
- 45g chorizo
- smoked paprika
Watch how it's done:
- Fill a large cooking pot with water and bring to the boil over a high heat. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, for about 12 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Grease three individual portion ramekins or ovenproof dishes.
- Melt Kerrygold butter in a saucepan over a medium high heat with the thyme leaves and then whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes and then pour in the milk. Continuously whisk until the mixture comes to a steady simmer and continue to cook until you have a thick sauce.
- Add the wholegrain mustard, a pinch of nutmeg and three-quarters of the cheese, and season with sea salt and ground black pepper. Mix through until the cheese has melted. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta in the pot and mix through until everything is combined.
- Divide the pasta between the 3 dishes. At this point you can play around with the flavours and add additional ingredients before baking off in individual serving pots. For the Classic version leave as is. To make the Crispy Bacon & Basil version, fry the streaky bacon in a little oil until crispy. Break into pieces and fold through the dish, with a small handful of chopped basil leaves. To make the Chorizo & Smoked Paprika version, cut the chorizo into cubes and fry in a little oil until crispy, fold into the pasta with a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Sprinkle the dishes with the remaining cheese and pop in the oven to cook for 25 minutes or until the top has turned golden and the sauce is bubbling up the sides. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving in big, deep bowls.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Spicy Butter Chicken
Recipe by Shirley Shannon This family favourite, fro...
Eton Mess No Bake Cheesecake
Eton Mess has long been a family favourite when it comes to desserts. Try our tw...
Smoked salmon carbonara is also a fantastic supper dish. Simply replace the baco...
This recipe makes special little fairy cakes, ideal for parties or visiting chil...
Rack of Lamb with Pea & Mint Mash
Lamb and mint are a match made in taste heaven! This recipe for a rack of lamb w...
Summer Potato Salad with Peas & Radishes
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna Place the potatoes in a...