- Preheat oven to 180°C, Gas mark 4. Line 2 bun tins with 24 paper cases. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy, either with a hand-held electric mixer or in a freestanding mixer.
- Gradually add the eggs, mixing well after each addition and adding a teaspoon of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Fold in the flour until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, filling each one halfway full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and golden brown. A skewer should come out clean when pushed into the middle of a cake.
- Remove the fairy cakes from the bun tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add enough of the water to make a smooth paste. Spoon the icing over the cooled fairy cakes and while the icing is still wet decorate with assorted sweets and sprinkles.
- To serve, arrange the decorated fairy cakes on a cake stand and watch the faces light up as you bring it to the table!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rhubarb & Strawberry Sponge Pudding
Dessert doesn’t need justification but if anyone asks, this recipe has two of...
Cape Malay Koesiesters
Recipe by Cariema Issacs...
Chicken and Ham Pot Pie
Recipe by Rozanne Stevens Nothing is quite...
This recipe is for an authentic Spanish tortilla. Once it has cooked it should b...
Beef Rolls in Tomato Ragù
This is traditionally made every Sunday in all regions of southern Italy. The to...
White Chocolate Blood Orange Cheesecake Tarts
To prepare the blood orange jam: Peel, slice and seed the bl...