These are easy and light bran and buttermilk rusks, a traditional South African baked treat. The recipe can easily be doubled to make more. They store well in a sealed container or cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a large bowl add the flours and baking powder and whisk to combine. Add the All-Bran and sugar and mix.
- Melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly. Add this to the dry ingredients along with the buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Line a baking (or small roasting) dish on the biggest side with baking paper. A 28cm x 20cm dish or similar rectangular dish will work well here. Spread the mixture into the tin and lightly press it into all the corners.
- Bake for 30 minutes until light golden brown. Loosely cover with tin foil from about halfway through to prevent over browning if necessary.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Cut the rusks into fingers of the desired thickness. Place these on a large, lined baking sheet allowing space in between each to facilitate the drying.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Chocolate Hazelnut Donuts
To prepare the donuts: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly gre...
Kerrygold Santa Claus Cookies
1. Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and quickly knead by hand or using t...
Chilli Butter Poached Prawns
Spice up your life with this irresistible shellfish recipe. Easy to whip up in n...
Strawberry Cheesecake Truffles
Recipe by Landi Govender (@thetockablog) Mix the digestive b...
Traditional Irish Scones
Heat oven to 220°C. Sift together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and s...