- 250g (9 oz) (1 ½ cups) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 225g (8 oz) (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 225g (8 oz) (16 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp milk
For the lemon icing
- 200g (7 oz) (1 cup) icing sugar
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), Gas Mark 3 and line a 23cm x 30cm (9in x 12in) baking tin with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl. With a spoon, make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs, lemon rind and milk. Beat with a handheld mixer for a few minutes until it is well and truly mixed.
- With the help of a spatula, transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Leave in the tin to settle for a few minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and let it cool.
- Meanwhile you can crack on with the lemon icing. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon rind and juice. There’s nothing like fresh lemons to make your tastebuds tango. Spread the icing generously over the top of the cooled lemon cake. If you possess the will power, leave it to set at room temperature for 1 hour and then cut up into squares.
- Ideal for teatime or pudding, you can serve solo or with raspberries and a dollop of crème fraîche. Go on, the chef deserves a second slice!
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Great shortbread never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserv...
Brown Butter Hasselback Potatoes
Calling all brown butter fans! Just say no to plain roasted potatoes. These Bro...
Apple & Hazelnut Streusel
This winter warmer is scrumptious with custard, clotted cream or crème fraîche...
Sometimes the simple things hit the spot. Like homemade scones still warm from t...
Griddled asparagus with lemon butter sauce
Asparagus are the baby shoots of a cultivated lily plant. A delicacy with an int...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...