- Remove the stalks and place the apples in a bowl of boiling water, remove and pat dry – this rinses off the wax and helps the caramel to stick.
- Pierce the top of the apple and insert a lollipop stick in to each.
- Prepare a tray lined with parchment paper to place the apples once coated.
- To make the caramel, heat the pan and add the sugar and water over a moderate heat
- Once dissolved, stir in the vinegar, syrup and butter.
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until it reaches hard-crack stage (138C) – to test this take a bowl of cold water and take a tiny spoon of the boiling caramel and drop in to the water. If it hardens on impact then it is ready. This should take around 10 minutes boiling time.
- Once the toffee is ready, turn off heat and immediately dip each apple into the hot toffee, turning it around in the syrup so that each one is fully coated.
- Immediately after, dip the coated apples into a bowl of nibbed hazelnuts or other toppings of your choice to decorate.
- Leave to cool and harden before serving.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Christmas Turkey butters
Cream together the butter with all of the ingredients using the back...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...
Lemon Drizzle Squares
Tried, tested and perfected, this recipe is in the oven in five minutes flat. Ju...
Roasted Carrots with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they need...
On a lightly floured cutting board, roll out one sheet of the puff p...