- Heat up the oven to 150°C (300°F), Gas Mark 2. Grease a 23cm x 33cm (9in x 13in) Swiss roll baking tin with butter. Blend the butter and caster sugar in a food processor until pale and fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour and cornflour and blend briefly, until thoroughly combined. Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tin and using floured hands, level the surface with a firm touch.
- Pierce the surface liberally with a fork but keep the surface level. Bake for 50-60 minutes but keep an eye on the oven. A uniform light golden colour is the rule of thumb. The trick is to not let it turn golden brown.
- Remove the shortbread from the oven and dredge generously with caster sugar. Leave for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, arrange on a large plate and present it on the table to tempt guests. This shortbread also makes a perfect partner to most desserts. When you master the recipe why not gift-wrap a batch for a friend.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rasberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread...
Salmon Rillettes with pickled cucumber salad
All dishes deserve love, not just the main course. Salmon Rillettes make a ravis...
Sometimes the simple things hit the spot. Like homemade scones still warm from t...
Chilli Butter Poached Prawns
Spice up your life with this irresistible shellfish recipe. Easy to whip up in n...
Pumpkin risotto with sage
They say the measure of a chef can be determined by a mastery of the fundamental...