- Heat up the oven to 150°C (300°F), Gas Mark 2. Grease a 23cm x 33cm (9in x 13in) Swiss roll baking tin with butter. Blend the butter and caster sugar in a food processor until pale and fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour and cornflour and blend briefly, until thoroughly combined. Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tin and using floured hands, level the surface with a firm touch.
- Pierce the surface liberally with a fork but keep the surface level. Bake for 50-60 minutes but keep an eye on the oven. A uniform light golden colour is the rule of thumb. The trick is to not let it turn golden brown.
- Remove the shortbread from the oven and dredge generously with caster sugar. Leave for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, arrange on a large plate and present it on the table to tempt guests. This shortbread also makes a perfect partner to most desserts. When you master the recipe why not gift-wrap a batch for a friend.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread...
Apple & Hazelnut Streusel
This winter warmer is scrumptious with custard, clotted cream or crème fraîche...
Salmon Fillets with a garlic, herb and citrus butter
Salmon and lemon were made for each other. Add fresh garlic with some herbs and...
Mussels and tomato stew
Wash the mussels. Discard any damaged and open mussels....
Irish stew hot-pot
Cold Winter evenings, a peat fire and pot of stew. This recipe is a right of pas...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...