- 275g (10 oz) (2 cups) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g (8 oz) (2 cups) large juicy strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 275g (10 oz) (1 ½ cups) caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- 175g (6 oz) (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Mix the rhubarb and strawberries in a 23cm (9 in) deep-dish pie plate and trickle 100g (4 oz) (½ cup) of sugar over the fruit. If you like ginger, now’s the time to add it.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and butter together with a hand held blender until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract and then fold in the flour mixture.
- Spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take a sneaky peep and if the sponge has risen nicely and turned a golden hue, it should be ready. To be sure, do the skewer test.
- Serve with great big dollops of custard and watch it disappear.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Bread & Butter Pudding
Bread and butter. Frugal but fancy. Makes you wonder why the best course is last...
Cranberry & Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
A decadent twist on the classic hot cross bun recipe made with juicy cranberries...
Shepherd’s pie with cheesy mash
Hibernate through the winter with a classic dish that never gets old-fashioned....
Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
These classic yellow cupcakes with chocolate butter frosting are fun and easy to...
Baked aubergine with tomato and cheese
Whoever said vegetables lack substance will eat their words with our baked auber...
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...