- 275g (10 oz) (2 cups) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g (8 oz) (2 cups) large juicy strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 275g (10 oz) (1 ½ cups) caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- 175g (6 oz) (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Mix the rhubarb and strawberries in a 23cm (9 in) deep-dish pie plate and trickle 100g (4 oz) (½ cup) of sugar over the fruit. If you like ginger, now’s the time to add it.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and butter together with a hand held blender until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract and then fold in the flour mixture.
- Spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take a sneaky peep and if the sponge has risen nicely and turned a golden hue, it should be ready. To be sure, do the skewer test.
- Serve with great big dollops of custard and watch it disappear.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms...
Champ and Colcannon
The humble spud. What a versatile vegetable. This recipe is an old friend that s...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...
Apple & Hazelnut Streusel
This winter warmer is scrumptious with custard, clotted cream or crème fraîche...
Rasberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Home Sweet Home is all the sweeter with freshly baked Victorian sponge cake. Tra...
Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
These classic yellow cupcakes with chocolate butter frosting are fun and easy to...