- A little Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 200g (7oz) plain white flour, plus extra, for sprinkling
- 300g (11oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 500ml (16fl oz) buttermilk
- For spreading Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
To serve (optional)
- Smoked salmon
- Dill sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little softened Kerrygold butter, then sprinkle some plain flour on top.
- Mix the plain flour, wholemeal flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, then mix together with your hands to form a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a clean surface and knead the dough lightly for 1 minute, just to pull the mixture together. Unlike ordinary bread, it’s essential not to overwork the dough.
- Put the round dough ball onto the prepared baking sheet, generously dust with flour and cut a deep cross into the top. Pop in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- If you prefer a soft crust to a crusty crust, wrap the hot loaf in a tea towel. Otherwise cool on a wire rack.
- Cut in thin slices or chunky slabs and spread with Kerrygold butter. Serve, topped with smoked salmon and dill.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce
A sweet tooth is not a weakness. It’s a gift. Especially when you’re armed w...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...
Cajun Potato Wedges
Perfect for a party or barbecue, this spicy appetizer will keep peckish guests h...
The stuff of legends, ciabatta or panettone can’t touch traditional Irish soda...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...
The classic muffin. Breakfast fit for a king or a well-deserved treat at the end...