- 150g (5 oz) (10 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 300g (11 oz) (2 cups) skinless salmon fillet, cut into chunks
- finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 150g (5oz) (1 cup) smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp small capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
For the pickled cucumber salad
- 4 tbsp ( ½ cup) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 baby cucumber
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Thin fingers of rye bread, to serve
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the shallots until softened but not coloured. Add the salmon and lemon rind and cook for 3 minutes, or until the salmon is just cooked, turning each piece in the butter.
- Remove the salmon and shallot mixture from the heat and roughly mash with a fork to break up the salmon, then fold in the smoked salmon, capers and dill. Season to taste. Spoon into individual kilner jars or ramekins and level the tops. Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour.
- To make the pickled cucumber salad, pour the rice wine vinegar in a bowl and stir in the sugar and a good pinch of salt. Cut the cucumber in half and using a teaspoon remove the seeds, then thinly slice – a mandolin will do this job brilliantly. Add cucumber to the vinegar mix. Set aside for at least 45 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Remove the salmon rillettes from the fridge 15 minutes before serving. Arrange on small wooden platters with separate small dishes of the pickled cucumber salad and a neat stack of the rye bread fingers.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
The stuff of legends, ciabatta or panettone can’t touch traditional Irish soda...
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms ...
Lamb chops with red wine, rosemary and garlic butter
Marinated lamb chops. Tender and tasty. Bring out the best in them with rosemary...
Mixed Berry Crumble
Ideal for the predictably unpredictable Irish weather, this is a dessert for all...
Great shortbread never goes unnoticed. The quintessential buttery biscuit deserv...
Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese
45 minutes is a long time to cook garlic but when you taste the resulting purée...