- 150g (5 oz) (10 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 300g (11 oz) (2 cups) skinless salmon fillet, cut into chunks
- finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 150g (5oz) (1 cup) smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp small capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
For the pickled cucumber salad
- 4 tbsp ( ½ cup) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 baby cucumber
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Thin fingers of rye bread, to serve
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the shallots until softened but not coloured. Add the salmon and lemon rind and cook for 3 minutes, or until the salmon is just cooked, turning each piece in the butter.
- Remove the salmon and shallot mixture from the heat and roughly mash with a fork to break up the salmon, then fold in the smoked salmon, capers and dill. Season to taste. Spoon into individual kilner jars or ramekins and level the tops. Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour.
- To make the pickled cucumber salad, pour the rice wine vinegar in a bowl and stir in the sugar and a good pinch of salt. Cut the cucumber in half and using a teaspoon remove the seeds, then thinly slice – a mandolin will do this job brilliantly. Add cucumber to the vinegar mix. Set aside for at least 45 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Remove the salmon rillettes from the fridge 15 minutes before serving. Arrange on small wooden platters with separate small dishes of the pickled cucumber salad and a neat stack of the rye bread fingers.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread ...
Pumpkin risotto with sage
They say the measure of a chef can be determined by a mastery of the fundamental...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...
The sublime supper favourite, homemade apple tart evokes childhood memories of g...
Salmon Fillets with a garlic, herb and citrus butter
Salmon and lemon were made for each other. Add fresh garlic with some herbs and ...
Shepherd’s pie with cheesy mash
Hibernate through the winter with a classic dish that never gets old-fashioned. ...