- 275g (10 oz) (2 cups) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g (8 oz) (2 cups) large juicy strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 275g (10 oz) (1 ½ cups) caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- 175g (6 oz) (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Mix the rhubarb and strawberries in a 23cm (9 in) deep-dish pie plate and trickle 100g (4 oz) (½ cup) of sugar over the fruit. If you like ginger, now’s the time to add it.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and butter together with a hand held blender until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract and then fold in the flour mixture.
- Spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take a sneaky peep and if the sponge has risen nicely and turned a golden hue, it should be ready. To be sure, do the skewer test.
- Serve with great big dollops of custard and watch it disappear.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Rhubarb & Strawberry Sponge Pudding
Dessert doesn’t need justification but if anyone asks, this recipe has two of ...
Baked aubergine with tomato and cheese
Whoever said vegetables lack substance will eat their words with our baked auber...
Salmon Rillettess with pickled cucumber salad
All dishes deserve love, not just the main course. Salmon Rittetes make a ravish...
Irish Oat Flapjacks
What a delectable culinary comfort. Delicious hot or cold, you can whip up these...
The classic muffin. Breakfast fit for a king or a well-deserved treat at the end...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...