- 275g (10 oz) (2 cups) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g (8 oz) (2 cups) large juicy strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 275g (10 oz) (1 ½ cups) caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- 175g (6 oz) (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g (6 oz) (12 tbsp) at room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Mix the rhubarb and strawberries in a 23cm (9 in) deep-dish pie plate and trickle 100g (4 oz) (½ cup) of sugar over the fruit. If you like ginger, now’s the time to add it.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and butter together with a hand held blender until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract and then fold in the flour mixture.
- Spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take a sneaky peep and if the sponge has risen nicely and turned a golden hue, it should be ready. To be sure, do the skewer test.
- Serve with great big dollops of custard and watch it disappear.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Pumpkin risotto with sage
They say the measure of a chef can be determined by a mastery of the fundamental...
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread ...
Sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce
A sweet tooth is not a weakness. It’s a gift. Especially when you’re armed w...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...
Salmon Rillettess with pickled cucumber salad
All dishes deserve love, not just the main course. Salmon Rittetes make a ravish...
Field mushroom soup with crunchy garlic croutons
Autumn beckons with this earthy wholesome soup. Forage for wild field mushrooms ...