- 200g cooked chestnuts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 200ml red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 25g Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- For the pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 150ml Water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Add 250g strong plain flour and 1 tsp fine sea salt into a large bowl.
- Roughly break 250g of butter into small chunks, add to the bowl and rub them in loosely. You need to see bits of butter.
- Make a well in the bowl and pour in about two-thirds of 150ml cold water until you have a firm rough dough, adding extra water if needed.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and form into a smooth rectangle.
- Roll the dough in one direction only, until 3 times the width, about 20 x 50cm. Keep edges straight and even. Don’t overwork the butter streaks; you should have a marbled effect.
- Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that. Give the dough a quarter turn (to the left or right) and roll out again to three times the length.
- Fold as before, cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 mins before using.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the olive oil to stop it burning and fry the onions until slightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms, bay leaves and rosemary and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Add the chestnuts, red wine and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the mustard and flat leaf parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish.
- Cut a cross in the top of the pastry - this will let the steam out during cooking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately with some buttery mash and greens.
Cornbread Chilli Pie
Heat the oven to 180c. Heat a large, non-stick pan. Crumbl...
Grilled Peaches with Pistachio Brittle & Greek Yoghurt
Preheat the grill to high. Line a sturdy baking sheet with parchment...
Festive Pumpkin and Ginger Cake with Salted Caramel Icing
1. Pre heat the oven to 180c 2. Line and grease 4 cake tins. 3....