- 8 breakfast sausages (turkey or pork)
- 2 6"x 6" puff pastry sheets
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Yellow mustard
- Flour for dusting
- On a lightly floured cutting board, roll out one sheet of the puff pastry until it's half of its thickness and about double in size.
- Using a pizza wheel or pastry cutter, slice the dough into 1/2 inch-wide strips.
- Using your finger or a pastry brush, lightly wet one side of each strip with ice water (this will help the pasty strips stick to each other as you roll and bake).
- With the wet side of the dough facing out, wrap a strip of pastry around each sausage in a candy cane pattern. As you get near the top of the sausage, leave a gap in the pastry pattern to make room for the mummy's eyes. If a single pastry strip isn't long enough, just continue with one of the other strips.
- Repeat steps above until you've made all eight mummies.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Place the mummies with their faces upward on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Leave 2cm of space between each mummy.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the mummy's bandages are golden brown.
- Remove mummies from the oven and allow them to cool for about 3 minutes.
- To make mummy eyes, dip the tip of a knife or the end of a chopstick into a dab of mustard and carefully dollop tiny eyes in the space you reserved for the face. If you're very gentle and careful, you could also try adding a nose or a mouth.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Mac & Cheese
Easy to make, classic comfort food. For those hungry for more, flavoured version...
Baked mackerel with pancetta
Mackerel and pancetta. An unlikely pair but an inspired idea. Pancetta is Italia...
Chicken Pot Pie
Discover the ultimate comfort food hidden underneath a flaky buttery rough puff...
Loaded Baked Eggs
Savour weekend brunches with this easy to prepare recipe. Method:...