- For the dough:
- 500g plain flour
- 220ml milk
- 20g yeast
- 60g sugar
- 90 g room temperature Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 lemon zest
- For the topping:
- 175 g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 100g flaked almonds
- 80g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla or plain sugar
- For the cake, sieve together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the lemon zest.
- Warm the milk to lukewarm and crumble the yeast into the milk until it is completely dissolved.
- Add the yeast-milk mixture with the butter and the egg yolks to the flour mixture and knead for a few minutes to a smooth, slightly sticky dough. Cover the dough and leave for about 1-2 hours to prove. It should double in size.
- In the meantime, cut the butter for the topping into cubes of approx. 1x1 cm and store in the fridge.
- Now place the cake dough on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and press evenly with your hands. Cover and leave for another 30 minutes.
- Poke small holes in the dough with your fingers. Put the butter cubes in the hollows, spread the sugar and almonds evenly over the dough and let the butter cake rise again for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200° C. Bake the butter cake on a medium rack for 15-20 minutes.
- Best served lukewarm.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Stuffed Bread with Irish Cheddar
Everyone loves bread. Try adding some of our delicious Irish cheddar cheese to m...
Roasted Buttery Parmesan Parsnips
Try to find nice small firm parsnips that will have a wonderful almost nutty fla...
Chocolate Biscuit Cake Christmas Cracker
Perfect for a delicious edible Christmas gift this Christmas! Place...
BUTTER CHICKEN MASALA
Much of the unique flavour of this curry depends on using the best quality butte...
Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Method Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6. Heat the o...