- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 680g lamb mince
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 240ml beer or stout
- 240ml chicken or beef broth
- 150g frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 900g red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 180ml milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1 head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 110g grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 190c
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add lamb and cook until no longer pink. Reserve 1 tablespoon rendered fat and drain meat. Add reserved fat back to the pan and place over medium heat. Add carrots and ⅔ of your chopped onions, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a minute. Stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the lamb back to pan along with Worcestershire, beer and chicken broth. Bring to a low boil and cook until liquid is reduced to a thick gravy, about 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in peas. Spread meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water about 20 minutes or until very tender; drain well and mash with skins on, adding milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add remaining onion; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft. Add cabbage; cook and stir for 5 minutes more or until very soft.
- Stir cabbage mixture and cheese into hot potatoes and season with pepper. Spread Colcannon on top of lamb mixture in a casserole dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brush evenly over Colcannon. Place casserole dish on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges bubble and potatoes start to brown. Allow to stand 10 minutes before eating.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Kerrygold Strawberry Meringue Cake
Preheat the oven to 175c. Mix the butter, 125g sugar and...
Barbeque Shrimp ‘n’ Grits Asian Style
To prepare: Light the barbeque an hour before grilling to make sure it is nic...
EASY ONE TRAY CHICKEN DINNER
Looking for a quick and easy dish that will please everyone? Try these chicken f...
On a lightly floured cutting board, roll out one sheet of the puff p...
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread...
SPRING ONION POTATO CAKES
Begin by boiling the potatoes until soft. Next, m...