- 50g (2 oz) (4 tbsp) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 1 small head red cabbage, finely shredded (core discarded)
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 500ml (18fl oz) (2 cups) pomegranate or cranberry juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Good pinch of ground cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a very large, heavy-based pan. Add the butter and once it has melted, tip in the red cabbage and onions. Sauté over a medium to high heat for about 10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Stir the apples into the cabbage mixture and then add the pomegranate or cranberry juice, balsamic vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour over a low heat, stirring every 20 minutes until the cabbage is meltingly tender. Transfer to a warmed dish and serve at once.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Roasted Carrots with Herby Butter
A brilliant way to serve carrots on Christmas Day for large numbers as they need...
This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread house that will have everyone gasp...
This iconic cake is a favourite with all the family. Curious culinary spirits ca...
Spinach and feta pie
A hit with all the family, meat-lovers and veggies will polish off this tasty pi...
EASY ONE TRAY CHICKEN DINNER
Looking for a quick and easy dish that will please everyone? Try these chicken f...
Irish Stove-Top Potatoes with cheese
Our national treasure deserves a revival every now and again. Looking back to by...