- 450 (1lb) (2 cups) plain flour, extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 25g (1 oz) (2 tbsp) chilled and diced Kerrygold Naturally Softer Irish Butter
- 225ml (8fl oz) (1 cup) buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Blackberry or strawberry jam to serve
- Kerrygold Naturally Softer Irish Butter
- Heat up the oven to 170°C (425°F), Gas Mark 7. Sift the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and with your fingertips, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Dig a little well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and beaten egg. With a tablespoon, quickly but gently stir in the liquid until it’s soft but not sticky. Dust down your work surface with some flour and get ready for the fun bit. You might want to recruit the kids! Turn the dough out and pat into a circle about 2.5cm (1in) thick. With a cutter or sharp knife, carve up the dough into 5 cm (2in) shapes.
- Pop the scones onto a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until they rise to a delicious shade of golden brown. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack, then serve up with butter curls and jam. Don’t be afraid to experiment with fancy jams or stick to the traditional strawberry. Whatever tickles your tastebuds! If any survive the day, keep them fresh in an air-tight tin.
Fruit varietyEnjoy the taste of summer throughout the year. When stirring the sugar into the dry ingredients, add 50g (2oz) (½ cup) of sultanas, raisins or dried pitted cherries.
The not so small varietyThis scone recipe can also be made into one big round loaf. Cut a deep cross in the centre and cook on a baking sheet in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6 and continue to cook for another 20 minutes. If the base sounds hollow when you tap it, it’s done.
Want More Ideas?
Follow Kerrygold on Instagram
Millionaire Chocolate Squares
Caramel, chocolate and shortbread. The holy trinity of baking. Great shortbread...
Mixed Berry Crumble
Ideal for the predictably unpredictable Irish weather, this is a dessert for all...
Chicken Pot Pie
Discover the ultimate comfort food hidden underneath a flaky buttery rough puff...
Kerrygold Christmas Turkey
The secret weapon for a deliciously moist turkey is a piece of fine cotton go...
This Rhubab-Crème is perfect for any event! Preparation:...
A simple but effective baking idea this Halloween, get creative for the perfect...